Hammerstein Highland House
Hillside, Content, Montego Bay, Jamaica
6 Bedrooms, 6 Bathrooms
Maximum Occupancy: 12
Rates per Night
Dec 15, 2012 - Apr 15, 2013
4 Night Minimum
Apr 16, 2013 - Dec 14, 2013
4 Night Minimum
Dec 15, 2013 - Apr 15, 2014
- Security Deposit: $55 Non-refundable Damage Deposit Waiver
- Rates subject to 15% gratuity for staff.
- Christmas Week $16,000
- Rates in U.S. dollars.
- Rates based on double occupancy per bedroom.
- Weekly rate is equal to seven times the nightly rate unless noted above.
- Rates subject to change without notice.
- Holiday rates and date periods may vary. Holidays may include Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Easter, President's Day, etc.
- Additional fees may apply. Call for details.
- Optional meal plan is available. Please call for details.
Originally built in the 1940s for English actress Gladys Cooper, the Highland House has long been the site of momentous occasions. Perhaps the most notable moment in history occurred when 2nd owner, broadway legend Oscar Hammerstein II, wrote the lyrics to "The Sound of Music" theme song from the Highland House terrace.
Hammerstein and his wife Dorothy purchased the estate as their personal retreat from the fast-paced New York scene. They spent many an evening entertaining famous friends and relaxing to the glorious scenery and tropical breeze. As you take in the same view of the hills and the Caribbean Sea beyond, it's easy to imagine Hammerstein writing "The Sound of Music" lyrics that reflect the magical beauty.
These theatrical roots continue to add a mood of enchantment to the villa, now owned by Brenda Isaac of Atlanta. In April 2000, Ms. Isaac began extensive renovations to preserve the magnificent history while updating the estate with the latest amenities. Leading a team of well-known artists and premiere interior designers, Ms. Isaac carried out her vision to create a series of charming environments woven together with a theme of elegant comfort.
The décor reflects the island's Colonial British Indian heritage, incorporating carefully selected artwork, mahogany tables, collectables, and imported antiques. Much of Dorothy Hammerstein's period furniture remains, as does her husband's spirit of creativity. As a result, today's Highland House is all the more spectacular - the culmination of refined beauty, artistic influence, and modern luxury.
Nestled in an idyllic mountain setting with mango trees, papaya groves, towering palms and vivid gardens, the Highland House boasts some of the most astonishing views of Montego Bay. From three stories, a groomed green lawn draws your eye toward the sea. Scenic pathways and secret stairways connect the estate's various environments, which are centered around a marvelous fresh water pool.
You would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite from the six Highland House suites. Each offers an en-suite bath, an individual ambiance, and a sitting area for quiet moments alone.
* The Zen Room features a king-sized 4-poster cedar bed, spacious sitting area with satellite television and VCR, private bath, 2 sinks, shower, 4' x 8' linen-draped Roman tub, 5 ceiling fans, sliding doors to the lower lawn and a panoramic view of the sea.
* The Jamaican Suite connects with the Zen Room. It's a smaller room designed for children with twin beds, en-suite bath, walk-in closet, and private entrance. Wonderful collection of Jamaican and Haitian art.
* The Owner's Suite features a queen-sized 4-poster mahogany bed, satellite television and VCR, dressing room and en-suite bath, and cedar plantation doors open to the private furnished terrace.
* The Bird Room has a king bed that can be split into twins, sitting area, satellite television, en-suite bath with shower and walk-in closet, and private deck surrounded by lush foliage. This room is totally secluded from the remainder of the house.
* The Mahogany Suite offers a queensize bed, satellite television and VCR, large en-suite bath, French doors opening to a view of the lawn, jungle and sea. This room shares a covered terrace with the Deco Suite.
* The charming Deco Suite features twin mahogany beds, an en-suite bath and a walk-in closet. It shares the covered terrace with the Mahogany Suite.
The numerous living spaces provide something for everyone. Enjoy a bird's eye view of the sea from the rooftop sundeck. Play card games or take an afternoon nap in one of the many quaint cushioned sitting areas on the terrace and around the pool. For movie time, the main gathering hall features comfortable sofas, high-peaked ceilings, and large plantation doors that invite the scenery and breezes inside. Downstairs you'll find a wet bar, darts, and pool table.
From candlelit dinners at dusk on the terrace to formal feasts at the grand roundtable, the Highland House dining areas are as delicious as the cuisine. Breakfast and lunch can be served next to the pool under a canopy of vines and greenery.
A short walk from the house takes you to the newly added pavilion designed to immerse you in tropical beauty. The wooden screened structure seems one with the landscape, and provides a secluded place for yoga, Pilates, ecstatic dance, and even special events.
To request availability for
Hammerstein Highland House, please click here.
We respond promptly - also on weekends and evenings.